When you think about looking younger, the first things that come to mind are the typical anti-aging tips like using the right beauty products and losing weight. Staying young is so much more than that, though. Inner beauty radiates to the outside, helping you not only stay healthy in body, but in mind as well.
One of the best ways to improve your overall health and wellness and enhance your natural, youthful glow, is by practicing kindness. Now, if you’re thinking to yourself, “Sure, Kellie Olver says being kind is good for you, but is it really true?”, you bet it is. Research even backs it up.
So what are the benefits of being nice? Here are some of the amazing advantages of making a conscious effort to be a good person:
1. You could live longer! Dr. Stephanie Brown of the University of Michigan found in a study that people who do good deeds for others have a lower risk of dying over the next five-year period. Now that’s about as big a reward as one could hope for!
2. You get the warm fuzzies. Being nice to others stimulates production of endorphins (the feel-good chemicals) in your brain, making it a great way to create positivity in yourself while also serving others.
3. Kindness spreads. You may have heard the story of the 11-hour “pay it forward” streak in the drive-through of a Florida Starbucks, during which nearly 400 customers each paid the bill of the customer in line behind them. Love – for yourself and others – has a tendency to become contagious.
4. Being nice is an anti-aging tool. It’s true – along with endorphins, your body also produces oxytocin – known as the “love hormone” – when you treat people with compassion. How does this hormone fight aging? It reduces inflammation, blood pressure, and free radicals – those little nasties that steal molecules from other cells, including your skin cells.
5. Kindness boosts your immune system. Research shows that doing good acts – or even just witnessing them – can increase your body’s ability to fight off illness.
Other potential health benefits of being kind include reduced stress levels and relief from chronic pain and insomnia. Of all the anti-aging tips you’ve ever read – and I’m sure it’s a boatload! – harnessing the power of compassion is probably the easiest step you can take to stay young and feel great emotionally and spiritually!