If you’re not getting enough sleep, you’re certainly not alone! According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), one-third of adults don’t get the recommended minimum of seven hours sleep per night.
Of course you know that sleep deprivation is hazardous to your overall health (not to mention makes you feel like a walking zombie!) but did you know that it can actually impact your looks as well?? The last thing you need on your journey of personal development is another challenge to your anti-aging efforts!
The Truth About Beauty Sleep
So how, exactly, does getting enough ZZZ's help you look younger? Let us count the ways!
1. Collagen production: During the night your skin is finally able to rest from all its hard work fending off sun and environmental damage. While you sleep, collagen production ramps up and skin cells focus on renewal. You know what more collagen means – fewer wrinkles and a smoother, younger appearance!
2. Puffy eye prevention: Lack of sleep increases inflammation, which in turn causes the blood vessels under your eyes to swell and appear puffy and discolored. Boost your beauty sleep efforts by propping your head up a bit to keep fluid from pooling into unsightly eye bags.
3. Skin and hair repair: Ever wonder why you look slightly flushed in the evening? This is because blood flow increases at night in order to help lower your body temperature. This added blood flow enhances the skin’s repair efforts, plus feeds your hair follicles, leading to healthier, shinier, faster-growing hair.
4. Products work better: When your skin is resting rather than fighting free radicals, your anti-aging products are able to achieve maximum effectiveness. It’s the perfect time to let your moisturizer work its hydrating magic!
There’s no doubt that the concept of beauty sleep is backed by real science. Getting enough shut-eye is one of the simplest and most effective beauty tips and tricks you can utilize in your quest to stay young. It’s not always easy to get enough rest, though. Here are a few things you can do to stack the sleep deck in your favor:
• Use white or “pink” noise – a fan, noise machine, and even smartphone apps like Brain Wave can enhance your ability to get quality rest.
• Don’t oversleep – more than nine hours of sleep per night can actually be bad for your health. Seven to eight hours is just right for ideal function and appearance.
• Set a caffeine cutoff time – switch to non-caffeinated beverages at least six hours before bedtime.
I also recommend drinking a collagen drink, such as Triple K.
Triple K is loaded with the amino acid GLYCINE, which is known to calm the body plus reduce anxiety and stress throughout the day. When this happens it is much easier to obtain a deeper sleep, a restorative sleep, to help you get all the beauty sleep you need.
Taking good care of yourself as you age doesn’t have to be complicated – sometimes the easiest way to look younger is by simply giving your body what it needs!