You want to stay young as long as you possibly can, right? Well, doing so isn’t just about looking younger on the outside. When you’re healthy on the inside, your skin glows and you exude a youthful radiance that comes from feeling great all over.
According to the National Institutes of Health, heart disease is the leading cause of death in women. The good news, however, is that you have control over much of this risk! Including the best heart-healthy foods into your diet is one of the most effective anti-aging steps you can take.
Here are 10 foods that are good for your heart – and your taste buds!
1. EVOO: Extra virgin olive oil raises your good cholesterol (HDL), protecting your heart and arteries.
2. Berries: No matter your fave – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, even cranberries – these yummy fruits contain plaque-preventing phytonutrients, along with plenty of vitamins.
3. Fish: Rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fish like mackerel, sardines, albacore tuna, and salmon also pack a big protein punch.
4. Chia seeds: These tiny titans fight bad cholesterol (LDL) and protect your arteries from plaque. Plus, they’re super versatile – toss a handful onto salad, into yogurt, or in your favorite smoothie!
5. Cauliflower: You probably don’t think of this humble veggie when it comes to your heart, but guess what? It has allicin – a compound also found in garlic which can reduce the risk of heart attack.
6. Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa like that in high quality protein powders such as my Triple K by Kellie Olver has actually been shown to reduce the ability of harmful cells to adhere to the inside of arteries. Heart-healthy CHOCOLATE?? Yes!
7. Green tea: this traditional Chinese beverage helps lower blood pressure and provides powerful antioxidants which reduce blood clot risk.
8. Oranges: Aside from vitamin C, which is amazing for your health overall, this citrus contains components which enhance blood flow to the heart and reduce arterial inflammation.
9. Avocado oil: Cooking with avocado oil is a great way to protect your heart because it can decrease hardening in the tissues surrounding this vital organ.
10. Yogurt: Surprised by this one? Me too! Turns out the probiotics in yogurt can fight gum disease, which increases your risk for heart problems.
You go to great lengths to fight what ages you on the outside, like crepey skin, wrinkles, and age spots – don’t make the mistake of neglecting the inside! Keeping your heart happy is the key to whole-body health, and with these heart-healthy foods you can stay young deliciously!