Looking to burn more calories when walking? Here are a few tips that you can implement.
1. Hike a hill. Instead of "avoiding" walking hills in your neighborhood, intentionally add them into your walking route.
2. Add resistance. Wear a weighted vest (like this one). Or, simply carry hand weights.
3. Increase your pace. Walking a 2 mile an hour pace burns 72 calories, while walking a 3.5 mile pace burns nearly double at 136 calories per hour.
4. Use walking poles. Using them may seem like you exerting yourself less. In reality, though, you’ll burn more calories as you use your upper body. AmeriMark reports that you'll burn twice as many calories when walking when using them.
5. Walk then Run technique. Walk for 3 minutes then run all out as fast as you can for 30 to 45 seconds. Repeat 4 times. Reports claim you may burn as many as 3 times the calories and better yet, blast your HGH into attention!